Jesse & Elizabeth Nutt Queen Suite - Room 3

This room is rich from every angle! It is fondly referred to as the "Pewter Room", as there is a bountiful supply of vintage pewter throughout. It also features the only step-up bath in the hotel, with a huge soaking tub offset in a cozy, romantic quiet and luxurious alcove! At the center of the room is one of the original magnificent forty foot tall cypress structural beams! This room is painted a cool gray, and is tranquil and soothing. From 1910 to 1999 suites three and six were one large multi-area suite and was originally rented out as the luxurious Presidential Suite at the Nutt House Hotel.

Out the back window you can enjoy the view of the Wagon Yard (Original Nutt Livery Stable), which was also built by the Nutt brothers, but was sold to the King family in the 1960's. The microwave, refrigerator, and ice chest are right next door in the Kitchen Nook, and the Breakfast Buffet Room is conveniently located, right across the hall! Come and see for yourself why we're Nutts's about the Nutt House!

(See Jesse & Elizabeth Nutt biographical information below.)

Rates: $99 during Weekdays Sun-Wed
$129 during Weekends Thurs-Sat


Jesse & Elizabeth Nutt Historical Mini-Biography

Jesse Franklin Nutt was born in Bedford County, Tennessee, January 19, 1833. He moved with his parents to Missouri in 1844. On April 10, 1853, he married his cousin, Miss Elizabeth Landers. Four children were born to this union but two died in infancy. Two daughters lived to adulthood. Jesse and his brother Jacob both became blind in 1854 and 1855 due to a disease of the eye. Far from allowing blindness to handicap them or interfere with their plans for their lives, Jesse and his family moved with other members of the Nutt family to Texas in 1858. With his brother, Jacob, he opened a business in Stockton Bend, Texas in 1867 with $30.00 capital. Their youngest brother, David Lee Nutt, at age ten, began his life's work as their eyes in business at that time.

When the site of Granbury was chosen as the county seat of Hood County, the two blind brothers and Thomas Lambert donated 40 acres as a town site. The Nutt brothers then moved their business to Granbury and opened in a log house on the very site where the Historic Nutt House Hotel now stands. They built the current Nutt Hotel building in 1893 at a cost of $10,000.00. In cooperation with other businessmen they built the first bridge across the Brazos River at Granbury.

The blind brothers with their mother were among the charter members of the First Baptist Church of Granbury. Jesse was one of the messengers who organized Paluxy Baptist Association. At the annual session in 1886 he was elected Treasurer and at each annual session for the next 18 years he was selected to that office again. Some time soon after the organization of the Association he was licensed to preach by the Granbury Church, but the date cannot be ascertained. There is no record that he was ever ordained but he preached in many places, and at one time served as associational missionary.

Jesse's wife Elizabeth assisted with the operation of the original Nutt House Hotel in the home of her brother-in-law David Nutt and his wife Sudie. She lived to see the erection of the "new" building in 1893, but passed away only a few years later, in 1898. Jesse F. Nutt died February 4, 1913 and was buried next to Elizabeth in the Granbury Cemetery.